Wednesday, November 28, 2007

1996 E. Pira, Barolo, Cannubi, Piemonte, Italy

While we where sipping on the Spottswoode I fetched another bottle from the wine cabinet. I immediately decanted it in my biggest Riedel Decanter – The “Ultra” Magnum. The wine was the 1996 E. Pira, Barolo, Cannubi, Simply stunning definition of Barolo and singing more and more as warmth and air hit the wine. Roses, smoke, cherries and so well sealed and vibrant from the glass. The taste is classic Barolo, dry – high defined acidity, not for everyone, but for me it’s more and more becoming evident that the treasures from Piemonte are the greatest reds in the world. (95-96)

(Tasted Sep-2006)

1996 E. Pira, Barolo, Cannubi, Piemonte, Italy

I served this wine as a bonus wine to this flight. I didn’t take any notes other than stating that it’s still a great glass of Barolo. The nose was a bit shyer this time, but the taste still awesome with lots of potential. (94-95)

(Tasted Dec-2006)


No comments: