Monday, November 19, 2007

1996 Taittinger, Comtes de Champagne, Champagne, France



There is something magical about 1996 Champagne. It seems to be “the” vintage” and I must admit that my expectations are high every time I decide to test drive a new one. I had this Champagne with my girlfriend and as I am usually by far the most eager drinker there should be plenty of time to follow the evolvement from the opening. However she was pretty hard to keep away from the new pours. I served it with a little 3 course dinner - small snacks of parmesan and goat cheese (picture), Dorade with Mediterranean fantasies and pasta with fresh seafood. With all three courses it cut through with laser precision – and who says that Champagne isn’t the best food matching wine in the world. What a divine Champagne – my girlfriend remarked that it was the purest Champagne I had ever served to her – and she was spot on. White Burgundy with bubbles, tons of flowers, butter, vanilla, pastry, lime/lemon zest and even a burned element to give it some warmth. The taste is fantastic – deadly sharp and the mousse explodes in the mouth with all the lovely flowery perfumes in a killer soft palate attack. The mineral balance is unheard and combined with the high level of purity it makes it a magical combination. And yes – it’s way too young, but do try one now and experience the freshness and first glints of a flower slowly starting to unfold. (97)
(Glass: Juhlin - Tasted Jul-2006)

1996 Taittinger, Comtes de Champagne, Champagne, France

Of the three served Champagnes, this one impressed me the most. It’s so well defined, pure and flowery. It’s really a white burgundy with bubbles. Extremely firm and crisp with tons of lime acidity and minerals. I can only confirm my first TN of this baby (97)

(Tasted Sep-2006)

1996 Taittinger, Comtes de Champagne, Champagne, France

I am so glad that my initial thoughts and appreciation of this wine is still intact – even if we where to taste and even wilder Champagne in the following glass. 1996 Comtes de Champagne is all about definition. The notes in this Champagne are very primary, but the focus and tallness of this wine is beyond many of its rivals. The nose has the precision like a samurai sword with green apples, flowers, lime and tickly mousse rising in crystallized particles from the glass. The taste is insanely fresh which is on of the trademarks of the 1996-vintage, but still a long mineral coated finish. (97)

(Tasted Feb-2007)

1996 Taittinger, Comtes de Champagne, Champagne, France

Fourth time I taste it. It’s out of this world good. A masterpiece in focus and precision. So fine and sharp – fabulous to try now, but it will be so much better in 10 years.

(Tasted Apr-2007)

1996 Taittinger, Comtes de Champagne, Champagne, France

One of the best ’96s out there. It’s so defined and razor sharp. It’s about to close down so hurry up.

(Tasted Jul-2007)

No comments: