Saturday, December 20, 2008

2003 David Leclapart ” l`Apôtre”, Champagne, France

(Deg.: Dec-2007)
(Glasses ; Spiegelau Adina Bordeaux and Zalto Champagne)

Ladies and gentlemen – this Champagne is delicious. l`Apôtre is the sort of Champagne one dream about – well at least yours truly does, so take your precautions when you read this note – I am biased and basically in love.
I had plans to decant this Champagne, but you know… my two wonderful kids, bedtime stories and food preparation (okay so we had sushi) does not always goes as planned. But I did something else – I poured myself a proper glass of this glorious Champagne half an hour before we sat down in the rather big red wine glass from Spiegelau / Adina (it’s this one http://www.spiegelau.com/img/products/detail/x1440135.jpg) and when we sat down, the first glass was still “Adina” and then we switched to Zalto. So why this glass confusion? Simply; to open this sophisticated Champagne up and bring all of its layers out and because it’s a slow starter. 2003 is however more approachable compared to 2002 and the recently tasted 2004 vintage. The nose starts of with too much oak (did exactly the same last time), which in this case is a bit a bit annoying to me, as it takes balance from the purity. Bit within 5 minutes in this big glass, it turns and now the magic starts to appear. From here it’s pure pleasure and constantly putting on in weight – this Champagne is so pure and it’s incredible how it touches me. I am amazed how vinous this Champagne is and it’s probably my affection for pure Rieslings and Champagne that collide here and bring out Goosebumps. It’s like 14 years of tasting wine ends right here – I have reached my goal. Alright, before it becomes too sentimental – let’s have a closer look at this 2003. The nose is like a big field of flowers, juicy apples and with this extremely sensual creamy touch which is breathtaking. It can best be describes as a sort of biodynamic purity and it has these dried fruits and especially baby banana. The oak is constantly there, but it’s so well balanced and just giving that warm feeling and overall adding to the complex layers to show better. However this 2003 has in general a touch of warmth, but its minor – and for sure it’s adding to the charming profile, but taking some balance away from the Champagne to have that high profiled acidity and mineral snap. And that’s probably its only fault. What else – my wife thought this was the best Champagne she had ever tasted (and she has good taste ;-) ). Conclusion; – there is a herd of great Champagnes out there and I luckily I have a broad palate, but when it comes to l`Apôtre I am easy target and already seduced for life. Mama Mia – I have to buy more.

Tasted 20/12-2008

No comments: