Tuesday, November 2, 2010

2008 Bernard Van Berg "La Terre"

Blend: Pinot Noir and Gamay
Age of vines: 45 years old from Puligny and Mersault
Production: 300 bottles
More details here: http://www.domainevanberg.com/statistic.pdf
Glass: Zalto Burgundy

In late September I visited the newly opened restaurant Geranium and on the wine-menu a wine appeared which I had never heard about. (I will write a few lines about this dinner in an upcoming summary).

Served blind – I went directly towards Burgundy and Pinot Noir. But it wasn’t exactly all pure Pinot Noir, was it. I liked the wine so much, that I decided to examine it a bit closer and was lucky to obtain a single bottle.

Nose instantly provides bleeding red fruit, but a very silky, subtle and refined way of presenting it. There is a brilliant weightless feeling – taking both complexity and allure to higher ground. But when knowing there is also Gamay here – you can sense the second window of sweet spices and some earthy forest components emerging. Everything is again toned very subtle, making the balance perfect and the wine to feel genuine, seductive – yet very intellectual as well. Taste is simply divine – curls with amazing sleek, energetic and pure mineral appeal.

No more 2008 on the market here – 2009 is next, I am already ordering some – I suggest you do the same – if you can find it ;-).

No comments: