Friday, May 2, 2008

1999 Schiavenza Barolo Riserva, Piemonte, Italy

I have read a few notes on this wine and my expectations were that I was going to face a massive Barolo animal. But I was struck by the purity the wines possessed and throughout the whole TN the wine emphasized its force and massive aging potential. The nose is still very youthful and has a very classic cut Barolo with refined elements of smoke, violets, forest, dirt, herbs, spices strawberry and cherries. It’s a divine mixture as there is a equal part of every component giving it a seldom seen balance. Taste is still very young the massive structure is bashing itself onto the mid-palate with enormous bite and acidity and then slowly sending small dozes of cherry stones and Barolo tannin/structure on the back palate. This is a beautiful wine and I will rest my remaining bottles for 5-6 years and can’t wait to return. (95++).

Glass: Riedel Sommelier Burgundy Grand Cru - Sun 08 Jan, 2006

No comments: